ursue problems in depth,
with integrated focus on both context ("the big picture") and details. Cultivate
long-term involvement with individuals and organizations, to
diagnose needs and appreciate potentials. Effective communicator,
adept at helping a diverse spectrum of persons
clarify their own situations, to enhance their powers of further self-development.
Diversified technical and academic background, to iteratively elaborate
computer mediated communication (CMC) solutions that open up new opportunities.
years experience in computer programming, system design and development. Earned
doctorate in human communication dynamics. Excellent analytical and
problem solving skills, combined with innovating, creative ability. Thorough in
executing tasks; empathic and patient working with people.
Effective teacher, public speaker, and "translator" between technical
experts and non-technically oriented users.
Computer Programming and Analysis
Current skills: Java+Swing and servlets, Perl, XML, HTML, CGI scripting.
UNIX, Windows 2000/XP....
Prior experience: SGML, OmniMark.
MVS/370 internals, S/370 Assembler, PL/S. JCL, VM/370, TSO.
COBOL, APL, Smalltalk....
(GUI) and website development. Usability analysis.
Educational software research. Publishing technology.
Technical training and documentation. Systems programming....
Academic Background (Problem solving methodology)
Dialogical Communication and Communication Media theory.
Phenomenology. Hermeneutics. Social Impact of Technology. Object-Relations psychoanalysis....
Columbia University, Teachers College
- B.A. "Honors with Exceptional Distinction" in Philosophy and "Summa cum Laude".
Phi Beta Kappa.
- UNIX/C/C++ certificate program. 1996
EMC | SMARTS (System Management Arts), White Plains NY. 1999-
Senior Software Engineer (2007-2018).
Software Engineer (1999-2007).
- Develop and maintain "Pure Java" multi-platform (UNIX; Windows)
Graphical User Interface (GUI), for network connectivity /
service availability management product.
- Analyze and fix problems from customers and internal Testing group (QA).
Grolier Educational, Danbury CT. 1997-99
- Develop and support SGML-based editorial production processes,
including Internet delivery of encyclopedia products, using Perl and AdeptEditor to manage
SGML data, and
OmniMark to convert SGML to HTML, in a mixed UNIX and Windows95/NT environment.
- Design and implement web browser-based (HTML user interface)
project management system and photo archive system, using Perl CGI scripts.
Teachers College Columbia University, Institute for Learning Technologies, New York NY. 1996-97
- Implement and maintain web
site for Digital Library in the Classroom project. Design and explore
to extend HTML functionality to include, e.g.,
hyperlinks (when the user clicks on a
they get an annotated menu of places to go to, instead of simply going
directly to one specific target location). Write Perl scripts to automate generation of
HTML pages by gathering information from other web pages and translating it from
- Webmaster for Institute for Learning Technologies ILTweb.
Maintain web site; respond to user inquiries.
IBM Corporation, Research Division, Yorktown Heights NY. 1978-96
Staff Programmer. 1981-96
- Implemented pioneering PC-DOS based (C, 8086 assembler) authoring
system which enabled children and non-computer oriented
adults to create multi-media presentations.
- Used system to research how the computer could facilitate creativity,
social learning and affective growth of children, psychiatric patients and other
non-computer oriented end users.
- Presented system to public audiences, including Maryland
Public Television, and IBM System Engineers
Symposium at La Hulpe, Belgium.
- Designed and implemented MVS linear data in
virtual storage functionality for General Motors Research,
to replace TSS function customer was using, for which IBM had dropped support.
- Designed and implemented hypertext text management application
for HP-95 (PC-DOS; C) to explore potential of palm-top computers / personal digital
assistants (PDAs); included RS-232 linkage to
up/down load data to DOS, OS/2 text editors, and Smalltalk applications on
desktop "host" PC.
- Developed and tested Internet-protocol compliant
programs, in OS/2 and Windows95, using Visual and Visual Age C/C++.
- Developed and taught S/370 Assembly Language course.
- Initiated ongoing collaboration between
IBM Research Exploratory Education Software
department and Department of Communication, Computing and Technology at
Teachers College Columbia University.
Associate / Senior Associate Programmer (System Products Division, Poughkeepsie NY). 1978-81
- Designed and implemented enhancements to MVS Storage Management, to make
3033/MP a viable business product by supporting more than 16 megabytes of real
storage. Received two awards for this work.
- Designed and implemented software simulator to
enable developers to test code for MVS/XA before availability of hardware.
- Maintained and rewrote large portions of MVS Real
Storage Management component.
PRIOR DATA PROCESSING EXPERIENCE
Analyst and systems programmer positions of increasing responsibility.
maintained MVS, OS/MVT, VS/1, CICS, and miscellaneous software
packages (TSO, PANVALET, LIBRARIAN, COBOL compiler...).
Wrote assembly language
extensions and modifications to the operating system (SMF exits, user SVCs...).
Provided technical support to operations and applications programming staff.
- Maryland National Bank, Baltimore MD. 1977-78
- Planning Research Corp., McLean VA. 1975-77
- Mercantile Safe Deposit and Trust Co., Baltimore MD. 1974-75
- United States Fidelity & Guaranty Co., Baltimore MD. 1972-74
Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore MD. 1969-72
Museum Shop Manager. 1970-72
- Purchased merchandise for resale
(books, art prints, jewelry, contemporary crafts, etc.).
- Designed merchandise displays.
- Supervised staff of 3 part-time sales clerks and
varying number of volunteers.
- Organized Xmas Craft Fair (1971) in cooperation with
Maryland Crafts Council.
Assistant to Registrar. 1969-70
[Reflecting on technology.]
Science and Public Policy, 2007, 34(1), 75.
- Review of Technology Matters: Questions to Live With, David E. Nye (2006).
Understanding who we conceive ourselves to be.
Science and Public Policy, 2003, 30(5), 382-383.
- Review of Publics and Counterpublics, Michael Warner (2002).
Towards a self-reflexive society.
Science and Public Policy, 2002, 29(3), 237-238.
- Review of A Sociological Theory of Communication: the self-organization of
the Knowledge-Based Society, Loet Leydesdorff (2001).
The Envelope as an Art Form: Computer-Aided Images.
LEONARDO: Journal of the International Society for the Arts,
Sciences and Technology, 1984, 17(1), 20-23.
COMPEER (Westchester Jewish Community Services), Hartsdale NY. 1989-90
- Provided companionship to schizophrenic patient in weekly visits.
Westchester Institute for Training in
Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Mt. Kisco NY
- Psychoanalytic training and internship (440 client hrs). 1990-94
- Student representative on Institute Board of Trustees. 1990-93
|| about humanistic text-processing computer technology:
|| about humanistic mathematics computer technology:
|Read Brad McCormick's computer aphorisms.
Read Brad McCormick's doctoral dissertation (Abstract).
View virtual exhibit of Brad McCormick's Envelope Art.
What's new on this website?
|Go to website Table of Contents.
Return to Brad McCormick's home page.
Return to site map.
Copyright © 1998-2002 Brad McCormick, Ed.D.
29 April 2007CE (2007-04-29 ISO 8601)